Cultural Sensitivity in the Workplace
The Diversity Learning Series
Given the exponential growth of persons of color in the American work force and the fact that less than 10% of the world’s population is dominantly Eurocentric, cultural sensitivity has become an essential competency for everyone in the workplace. Cultural sensitivity is the ability to respond appropriately to cross-cultural situations from the point-of-view and awareness of the attitudes, feelings, and circumstances of others. Cultural sensitivity involves the mastery of cultural intelligence, cultural transformation, and cross-cultural skills.
This course provides the opportunity for the participants to engage in these three learning experiences in individual, paired, and team exercises. The course is dominantly interactive, experiential learning which deals with real-world workplace scenarios. It includes both case study and video-based exercises that create participant-focused learning.
The basic premise of the course is that the most profound and permanent learning results from the insights with other participants. Therefore, the various exercises are designed to create lively dialogue, flashes of insight, and most of all fun! For example, one of the team exercises challenges each participant to discover how he or she might significantly expand his or her understanding, influence, and creativity in working in cross-cultural situations. Acquiring these expanded competencies is in direct proportion to one’s openness to others’ point-of-view, learning new leadership skills, and a desire for personal exploration. These are essential learning experiences that are a part of the exercises.
The overall objectives of the program are to:
- Learn the critical skills associated with cultural sensitivity and discover how culturally proficient you are in working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience the process of cultural transformation when involved in a cross-cultural encounter.
- Resolve your greatest challenge involving interpersonal cross-cultural relationship, communication, or coaching of co-workers.
- Acquire the interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with a diverse, multicultural work force.
- Present generalize cultural values (propensities) of the four major American cultural groups as guidelines for appropriate culturally sensitive behavior.
This learning program is exceptionally hands-on, interactive, and
focused on real-world business and organizational scenarios. It is
designed to engage individual, paired, and team participation
that directly relates to situations participants experience on a
day-to-day basis. The program can be presented, with modification,
in half-day, one-day, or one and one-half
day modes. It can be delivered by Innovations' facilitators
or a Train-the-Trainer format.
For more information, or to schedule a seminar, workshop, or speech:
Click Here to Contact a Representative